Doctor of Philsophy – Communications, Simon Fraser University (Sept 2013-2018). Supervisor: Dr. Richard Gruneau
Master of Science – Exercise Science, University of Toronto (2009-2011). Supervisor: Dr. Margaret MacNeill
Bachelor of Human Kinetics – Leisure and Sport Management, University of British Columbia (2002-2007).
Scholarships & Awards
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Storytellers Finalist, Top 25 (2017)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Doctoral Scholarship (2015-2017)
- Sport Canada, Sport Participation Research Initiative SSHRC Supplement (2016)
- Simon Fraser University Graduate Fellowship (2015)
- North American Society for the Sociology of Sport Conference, Barbara Brown Student Paper Award: Runner-up (2014)
- Dr. Hari Sharma Foundation Annual Graduate Scholarship (2014)
- Simons Foundation Doctoral Entrance Scholarship (2013)
- Special Graduate Entrance Award, Simon Fraser University (2013)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Master’s Scholarship (2010)
- Marie Parkes Graduate Fellowship for Research in Women’s Health and Physical Activity, University of Toronto (2009)
- Media, Sport, and Popular Culture (CMNS 324), School of Communication, Simon Fraser University. [Sessional Lecturer]
- Communication in Everyday Life (CMNS 304w), School of Communication, Simon Fraser University
- Media and Popular Culture (CMNS 221), School of Communication, Simon Fraser University
- Understanding Television (CMNS 220), School of Communication, Simon Fraser University
- Introduction to Physical Cultural Studies (PHE 102), Faculty of Physical Education & Health, University of Toronto.
- Lifespan Development (PHE 101), Faculty of Physical Education & Health, University of Toronto.
- Past-President – UNA-Vancouver, 2016-present.
- Graduate Student Representative – Admissions Committee, Simon Fraser University, 2015.
- Graduate Student Representative – North American Society for the Sociology of Sport, 2014-2016.
- Committee Member – Centre for Leadership Training and Education Review, Faculty of Physical
- Education & Health, University of Toronto, 2011.
- Outreach Coordinator – Physical Education & Health Graduate Society, University of Toronto, 2009-2011.
- Special Events Executive – Right to Play @ UBC, University of British Columbia, 2004-2005
Personal Trainer/Boot Camp Instructor
Lead clients and participants in safe physical activity for functional fitness and health. CanFitPro certified, FKCI Functional Training Specialist certified and Level 1 Fitness Kickboxing Instructor. (2013-present)
Senior Facilitator – UBC Ropes Course
Responsible for fostering leadership, communication, trust, and teambuilding skills through interactive activities for all ages; accountable for participant’s emotional and physical safety; experience working with special needs participants. (Sept 2005-Jun 2008, May 2012-present)
Coordinator, Events – UBC REC
Co-supervised 25 student volunteer staff; responsible for all aspects of event management including staff training, development, scheduling, registration, marketing coordination, site management, risk management, equipment coordination, route planning, permit acquisition, and partnership development; executed large-scale events such as Storm the Wall and Lace Up for Kids. (Aug 2011-May 2012)
Coordinator, Events – Carina Sports Group
Responsible for logistics and implementation of Perfect Lies golf events. Oversaw building of event props, corporate sales administration and loyalty program.
Developmental Camp Coordinator & Coach – UBC Tennis Club
Organized and managed the UBC summer tennis camps for children aged 5-17; responsible for skill appropriate groupings of up to 72 children at one time; supervised up to 9 coaches; dealt with participant concerns and complaints; created and implemented a ‘Player Card’ marketing plan.